Up on a ferris wheel

dream a little dream come true

Wednesday, December 03, 2008

On how education as a child affects ability through adulthood again

I was wondering about music previously.

I have also been wondering about English.

There is probably a window of opportunity and once we pass that, we have to go through great lengths and still not be able to reach the same heights as those who have grabbed that critical opportunity.

According to early childhhood studies, that window emerges before the year of 4. I don't remember the exact time frame though.

This explains why I can never be as good, write as well as some of my peers do. Oh, I only started reading when I was about 10 years old! Before that, I wasn't the least bit interested. I went to Primary 1 not even understanding English or able to add and subtract.

Ya know, my 20-month-old girl can recognise a lot of words already. I didn't even try much. Ideally I should do the word recognition stuff a few times a day, but I do it once in a few days. :) Ooops. Bad mummy. I am not doing my child justice by not realising her true potential!

Some of those peers and writers I admire can somehow always weave apt metaphors and word their thoughts so well.

Metaphors are such delightful reads. There are a lot of them in Time.

Visiting Narita, Osaka and Tokyo in Japan this Friday! Blew $8000 on this trip. Oh, can I use the verb "Blew" this way? Wonder where I came across this word.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home